Thursday 14 December 2017

Our little addition, my initial thoughts on starting a family.


Granted I’ve been extremely quiet compared to my usual breaks from the blog, but by far this is the most valid reason.
Gurps and I are thrilled to announce we are expecting a little baby Suri at the end of September; you might have noticed some images from my Instagram roll pictures at the top of the page, my tummy is looking a little more rounded then what you’re used to seeing!

Are you ever ready for children?
After being in a 12 year relationship and married for 4, Gurps and I felt like we have ticked so many things off on our bucket list. These were personal goals and wishes we fulfilled as young adults. We both felt completely satisfied with exhausting the social aspect of life, we were content with our stability as a couple and loved the life we shared together.
The topic of children was inevitable, it’s something both of us had in our life plans, we decided to wait till it was a mutual agreement that we were ready for it.
The first deciding factor was feeling like we had enough time to love and care for another human being other than ourselves, a baby not only requires material items, but first and foremost; time.
We were ready to have our world changed by devoting time and prioritising a child above everything and anyone else.

How much money goes into a baby?
After we established we had enough time, love and energy to devote to the baby our second deciding factor was finance. It’s been a hard slog for everyone to get onto the property ladder and gain some stability in the housing market, but luckily we have a roof over our heads and are stable enough to accommodate a child.
I’ve heard so many people say ‘don’t worry you will make ends meet when you have a child, you just do’ but I didn’t want to be in that position, I didn’t want to be in a place where I had to second guess buying items for the baby / providing the essentials because we couldn’t afford it.
By organising ourselves and preparing for this child we have eliminated the stress financial ties can have, and for that I’m grateful. I wish to spend time bringing up this baby with all the love and protection possible without money worries.


Am I physically ready?
It’s all well and good to say we are ready for children, but some factors are beyond our control and no matter what we do we can’t change them. One thing I have focused on (especially since starting this blog) is myself; Self-love, self-respect and knowledge of self-worth.
I have devoted countless hours into being the best version of me I can be, both mentally and physically; So naturally I felt I was strong enough to face the challenges bearing a child can bring.
I don’t smoke and drinking is extremely rare so I ticked the boxes for basic health requirements, I just have to maintain my usual eating habits and exercise where possible to accommodate the pregnancy months.

Am I mentally ready?
I thought I was, I genuinely thought I was ready for this child when we discussed starting a family in December 2016. It turned out at times I wasn’t, my emotions the past 7 months have been a complete rollercoaster. I’ve had bouts of regret, doubt and frustration which in seconds turn into excitement, eager anticipation and sheer happiness. Its unexplainable! I don’t think you are ever ready mentally for anything, you honestly need to let go of the past, don’t fret about the future and enjoy the moment, enjoy NOW. That’s the only way I’ve got through this pregnancy; enjoying the present.
Now I’ve got that little story off my chest let the journey to motherhood begin! I’m super excited for what’s to come and am eager to learn so much more than what I already know about the miracle of pregnancy and birthing.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig